26.7.13

meet katie

So since I've moved to school, I've met a lot of awesome people who are doing great and creative things with their lives.  Like me, a bunch of them have blogs and are trying to get their names out there in the world and as a fashion marketing student I know networking is a big part of being in this or any art industry.  In light of that, I wanted to share with you a friend of mine from school that I simply adore!  I asked her a few questions so we could all get to know her a little, soooo meet Katie!


CLICK THROUGH to see my interview with Katie



C: So how did you get into blogging?
K: I've been looking to fashion blogs for inspiration since my freshman year of high school. It began with lookbook.nu, fashiontoast, Style Scrapbook, and Bleach Black. As I'd come across more along the years, the list expanded and my style grew up right along with me. By the time I got to college my favorites were fashiontoast (always), Sea of Shoes, and The Road is Home. My roommates and I started getting in the habit of snapping "OOTD" shots (outfits of the day) and I thought, "Oh I should totally start my own fashion blog!" And that's how it all began.

C: So what is your blog all about?
K: My blog is young still, as I just created it in January of this year. Yet it's already becoming something I love. It started off as styled photoshoots that my roommate Paige of paigemaccready.blogspot.com would take of me, as she always had assignments like this for her photo classes. This was fun and all, but I wanted my blog to be more real than this; more honest. Not just me on the days where I dress up all pretty and blow out my hair, but also me on the days where I'm just at the beach with my friends or I'm cooking up some gluten free breakfast in my kitchen. Hence the name change from K8Style to Honest Kids. I think it was largely Nirrimi of The Road is Home that inspired me to alter the format/content of my blog. Hers is so incredible. Its like a journal of her life, her travels, her child, her lover, and all the adventures they have. Don't get me wrong I still love fashion and Paige won't ever stop shooting me, but I am in the process of transitioning into more of a lifestyle and photography theme for Honest Kids.

C: Okay, so tell me a little bit about yourself... like where you're from, what you're doing with your life, all that jazz.
K: I'm 19 years old, and I was born and raised in South Florida (Palm City by way of Ft. Lauderdale). I'm based in Savannah, Georgia most of the year, as I am fortunate enough to attend one of the most prestigious art universities in the country (SCAD). I wouldn't want to be anywhere else for school; Savannah is perfect. The warm, breezy weather is beautiful, the cobblestone landscape and lush willow trees are magnificent, and the laid back atmosphere of the historic Southern town are the perfect ingredients for the conception of inspiration when it comes to my artwork. I came to school last fall with a pack of General's charcoal and a few empty sketchbooks, and when I returned to Florida for the summer the sketchbooks had been filled and my portfolio had grown significantly. I also came back with three film cameras, a curiosity for photography, and a thirst for learning as much as I can about drawing and illustration. Oh yeah, and I changed my major. I started out as a FASM (Fashion Marketing and Management) major just like Caroline, but I've now switched to Illustration and Fibers. I cannot wait for September to come because I know I'll be learning so much more and creating some amazing art. I can't wait to sprawl out on the green, grassy carpet of Forsyth park and listen to the creaking sound of little kids on the swing set and the splashing water spitting out of the giant fountain. We'll all pedal our bikes over with our backpacks stuffed full of homework (sketchbooks), cameras, water bottles, and Kind bars.

C: What do you see yourself doing in the future?
K: As for the rest of my life, I'm not entirely sure what I want to do with it. I'd love to work for Free People in some capacity, as they are my absolute favorite company. I'd really like to write for their blog; this would be ideal. Other than that, I'd love nothing more than to spend the rest of my days traveling the world with my best friend and lover Ryan, making and selling out art.

C: Finally... I know its lame, but describe yourself in five words!
K: If I could only use five words to describe myself, I'd have to say: loving, creative, weird, open-minded, and adventurous.


I hope y'all enjoyed finding out more about my friend Katie!  You can find her blog and other links here: Blog // Pinterest // Tumblr // Instagram


xx, Caroline

No comments: